This is by far the BEST cheesecake I’ve made! Really, you have to eat it to believe how good this is. I took it to a summer party in August and it was ALL gone!
The icing on the cake (literally) – the berry “sauce” – was made with wild, organic blackberries picked from a massive blackberry bush we found growing in our neighbourhood (No one told me the ordeal I’d have to endure to hand pick these babies – eaten alive by mosquitoes and skin ripped by thorns – now I know why they’re so damn expensive to buy).
I didn’t get a chance to take pictures (that’s how good it was!), so for now the featured picture in the link below will have to do 😉
The spring-form pan I used was about 23 cms so I doubled the quantities below. This recipe has been adapted from One Green Planet’s Raw Orange and Blueberry “Cheesecake”:
- 2 cups mixed raw nuts
- 1 cup sultanas (dates and raisins will work too)
- 3 cups cashews
- 3/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup melted coconut oil
- juice of one lemon
- zest of all the oranges you juiced
- 2 cups fresh blackberries (you could use any type of berry here – fresh or frozen)
- 1/4 cup of the orange cheesecake mixture
- For the crust, process the nuts and sultanas in a food processor until the nuts have become crumbs and the mixture sticks together when you press it. Press into the bottom of a spring-form pan and put in the fridge.
- To make the orange cheesecake, blend all ingredients (except orange zest) until very smooth. Add in the orange zest and mix with a spoon.
- Reserve 1/4 cup of this mixture for the berry topping – pour the rest onto your crust and put in the freezer.
- To make the berry layer, blend the berries and the 1/4 cup of cheesecake mixture until creamy or still with small pieces of blackberry (depending on preference). Spread this over your cheesecake and keep in the freezer overnight (if you can wait) or transfer to your fridge.
Enjoy with sliced oranges and berries.
sharing is caring!